Sunday, June 6, 2010

Ocean Diver (Almost)

I'm taking the BSAC Ocean Diver course.

So it's appropriate that yesterday's diving was in the ocean. Or to be more precise, the English Channel. Or to be even more precise, Swanage Bay.

During my various visits to Swanage I've watched the dive boats coming in and out with mild curiousity. Where do they go? What do they do? So there was some satisfaction in being part of the team loading a boat on the beach, watched by casual observers on the promenade. How many of them harboured a latent desire to be joining us, as I always had?

The Alton BSAC club is fortunate enough to own its own RIB (rigid-hulled inflatable boat) courtesy of a National Lottery grant. It was large enough to carry the six in our party to our two dive sites, the first of which was just off Swanage's west beach.

Diving in the sea brings it's own challenges. First there's buoyancy - a novice diver needs to carry more weight because it's harder to sink in salt water. Secondly, the suface is constantly moving because of wave action. In a busy harbour there's also plenty of surface disturbance from other boat users.

Performing my first backwards roll entry into the sea was relatively easy - I've got used to the idea of falling into water and assuming that I'll eventually surface. I just concentrate on breathing and natural buoyancy sorts out everything else.

My main problem was overcoming this buoyancy and getting below the surface. On the first dive I was carrying 10kg in weight and could not get down. My buddy added another 2kg to my pocket and at the same time I remembered what my instructor had said about tension creating buoyancy problems. As I floated on the surface I told myself to relax and allowed the waves to wash over me. It did the trick and moments later I was 6m down, on the seabed.

I learned a huge amount from my two ocean dives and it's given me plenty to blog about in the coming days. I had my first encounter with marine life, my first dive to a wreck, my first drift dive and my first underwater incident that proved the importance of all our safety training.

It's also left me with some important decisions to make. Do I buy a wetsuit or a drysuit? Should I invest in an SMB (surface marker buoy)? Is this the right time to buy a dive computer?

Lots to think about and lots to write about. I'm not a qualified Ocean Diver yet, but at least I've now dived in the ocean!

3 comments:

  1. It's got to be a drysuit for UK waters! A semidry is bearable for the first dive but on cooler days they're not pleasant at all.
    You will need an smb at some point, don't rush into in though as while you're training your buddy will have one anyway. Have a look at other people's kit and get their advice. I bought a reel that turned out to be not that good at all. A computer on the other hand is a must have if you intent to carry on with diving. Mine is a Mares Puck and it's lovely - easy to use, clear display etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how exciting! what was the incident though? I hear lots about Swanage diving but we have nothing like it over here in North America. So I can't even imagine how it would be. What was the water temperature? Regarding, gear, I only bought mine after about 20 dives once I realized I was hooked for life. The wrist computer is probably the best purchase I've made. Looking forward to reading more of your posts :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy a computer, learn how to use a DSMB and keep on you at all times and go drysuit.

    ReplyDelete