Monday, September 27, 2010

Scuba Diving With a Purpose

A leaflet entitled "Dive into conservation" caught my eye at the recent Dorset Country Show.

I picked it up from the Dorset Wildlife Trust stand because I liked the idea of turning my new hobby into something useful.

Apparently divers are invited to volunteer for a scheme called Seasearch. It's a huge survey of the UK's underwater landscape, putting together a record of the huge variety of creatures and habitats off our shores.

Britain is blessed with an enormously long and diverse coastline. While many recreational divers prefer the warm waters of the tropics, or the Red Sea, there's a massive abundance of wildlife just metres off our own beaches. I've only had two sea dives, off Swanage, but they were much more rewarding than quarry dives because I glimpsed life in another world.

I have no idea how much diving I'll be doing in the future, but I know that the simple novelty of being underwater will wear off soon enough. I'm looking forward to exploring wrecks and reefs, but it would be great to bring some structure and purpose to my finning about the place.

So at first glance Seasearch looks like a great programme to get involved with. There appears to be some training involved, and organised dive trips. Realistically nothing's likely to happen between now and next Spring, but I can make some enquiries.

BSAC, PADI and a host of other organisations all support Seasearch, which is coordinated by The Marine Conservation Society.

One of the other groups associated with the programme is the Nautical Archaeology Society. Now that's another underwater activity I'd like to know more about!

No comments:

Post a Comment