Thursday, September 30, 2010

Counting the Cost of Scuba Diver Training

How much did it cost me to train as a scuba diver?

When I first mooted the idea experienced diver friends told me to get my training from BSAC, not PADI. Newcomers to diving will soon discover the friendly rivalry between the two organisations.

Other than the advice, another attraction of the BSAC training was that it was 'free'. The trainers are volunteers, giving up their time to help new divers simply for the love of the sport. (But don't let the term 'volunteer' put you off - they take their responsibilities very seriously).

The reality, of course, is that the training costs money. And to be fair, no one from BSAC tried to sell me their training on the basis of cost. I just made the assumption that because there was no cost for the course, it wouldn't burn too deep a hole in my pocket. But I hadn't thought it through.

With the benefit of hindsight I thought I'd do a quick comparison between the costs my BSAC training and an equivalent PADI course.

The Price of PADI Training

Let's start with PADI because it's easy. My local dive centre's website says their Open Water course of 8 sessions costs £379. That includes hire of almost all equipment, air refills for the tanks and pool fees. It doesn't cover the entrance costs for open water dive sites, which it says are typically £16. Given that there are two sessions in open water, that's £32 on top of the £379, or £411 in total.

The equipment that PADI don't supply are fins, boots, mask and snorkel. Think £100 for that lot, which pushes the costs up to £511.

Calculating the BSAC Training Costs

BSAC is more complicated. First there's the fee the join BSAC itself and to become a member of the local club. This includes the cost of the training booklets and comes to £175.

The first few diving sessions were in the swimming pool and the club covered the entrance fees and provided the equipment. I was able to borrow a wet suit from a club member. So far, BSAC's a lot cheaper.

But when it came to open water diving the costs shot up. The club provided the air tanks and a member lent me some fins. But I had to hire a wet suit, BC and regs (the inflatable jacket and the air hoses). That cost me £45 a day. Then there was the cost of getting into dive sites - £9 for Wraysbury and £15 for Vobster.

On top of that I had to pay for air refills. The club supplied a full tank but it needed filling after the first of two dives on each day. Another £3 or so.

Our day out to Swanage wasn't really part of the course, it was a bonus dive thrown in to help boost my confidence. It was a fantastic day but again, there was a cost, this time about £15 as a contribution to running the club's RIB, and an air refill.

All in all training with BSAC has cost me about £410.

I bought my own mask, snorkle, boots and gloves, which cost about £70. Add that to the £410 and it comes to £480.

So in the final analysis - my training with PADI would have cost £511 but with BSAC it cost £480.

In reality, the price is virtually identical. I've including the cost of fins in the PADI workings and gloves in the BSAC costs; take them both out and it pretty much evens up.

I've also ignored the 'hidden' costs of travel to and from the various training sites, as it would have been almost identical.

Which is Cheaper - PADI or BSAC?

There's no real difference in cost between PADI and BSAC, at least from my experience.

However, BSAC lets me dive to 20m, PADI would restrict me to 18m. So I'm getting an extra 2m for my money!

But diving isn't about the money. It's an incredible experience and I'm extremely grateful to the team at Alton BSAC who introduced me to the other world that's under the water.

1 comment:

  1. I did my PADI Open Water in Jamaica and it cost me £240. It was very good but somehow I came away not feeling like a Qualified Diver.

    I came back to the UK and started with my local BSAC Club, paid my club entry (£30 or so for student), got a medical that was free and then began diving and getting the theory.

    The dives cost between £10 and £20 each depending on location and that was inclusive of all equipment, refills, transport from the centre and tea/coffee.

    I also bought my own drysuit, but would have had to do that with PADI anyway, or pay a relatively large fee for every dive to hire one instead of a wetsuit.

    So far, I'm qualifying as a Sports Diver after transferring to BSAC Ocean Diver from PADI OW, and it has cost me £250 for the PADI part, not including travel, and around £120 for the BSAC part, which is much more comprehensive!

    ReplyDelete